Bangladesh is one of the top fruit producers (seventh in the mango sector) in the world. But most of the cases these mangoes are being cultivated with imbalanced chemical fertilizer, medicines, pesticides and hormones. to increase mango yield Farmers often use excessive fertilizers and pesticides, residue of which retains and is consumed with mango, making the mangoes harmful and dangerous to human health.
Also, there is not much awareness in the mango local market about the use of technology, improved packaging, proper storage process etc. Due to various natural causes a significant amount of mangoes is often wasted. Many of them are wasted because of not picking at the right time. Moreover, other products from mango such as pickles, jellies, chutneys, aamchoors, amsatta etc., do not get fair price due to poor quality and proper preservation and marketing conditions.
In order to solve all these problems and to produce healthy mangoes to maintain the environment around the living space of the mango farmers, the expanding the usage of organic fertilizers and pesticides, using Vermi compost / Trico compost, proper pest management, capacity building and ensuring access to premium market, Ghashful implemented a Sub-project under “Sustainable Enterprise Project” as a partner organization with PKSF in October 2019.
- Mango sapling nursery development
- Establishment of Trico compost and Vermi compost (Organic fertilizer production center)
- Develop shops for selling safe mangoes (development of sage mango sell center)
- Processing center development (Mango Product diversification)
- Environmental friendly agri inputs suppliers (MEs) development
- Establishment of mango cold storage
- Sanitation system development in the market for buyers and sellers (Establishment of Toilet facilities at the market place)
- Waste management system development (Establishment of garbage at the market place)
- Demonstration of integrated pest management, modern variety and, ecological farming following the GGAP