Recognizing the wisdom and vast life experiences of older people are essential to the long-term development of any society. Protecting the rights of elderly people is a newly introduced phenomenon in Bangladesh. Age is considered as a social problem as the elderly people require materialistic and non-materialistic support from others, due to which they are often neglected and abused by the family and society.
Keeping this in mind, Ghashful has initiated the project in December 2015, with the support of PKSF, to uplift the life status of the elderly people in Mekhal Union, Hathazari Upazila, Chattogram. In August 2016, the project has successfully been extended to Guman Mardan Union of the same Upazila in improve lives of elderly people in our community.
Major activities of the program
- Village wise enlistment of elderly people
- Formation of Ward and Union Committees
- Training on Leadership and Monitoring
- Awareness building activities on public facility
- Establishment of social centre for elderly people
- Health service with physiotherapy and counselling
- Shelter for shelter-less
- Funeral support for poor
- Wheel chair, blanket, umbrella distribution among the persons with disabilities and poor
- Distribution of Honorius